Sunday, June 10, 2007

FIRST SENTENCE! and recipe - Tofu Enchiladas con Mole'

Jackson really doesn't "talk" he just kind of babbles. But he has clearly determined that Tim is Dada and I am Mama. (Why Dada comes first for virtually all babies confounds me. Completely NOT fair!) Anyways, this afternoon Jackson looked up at me and said, "Mama, baba!" I pulled a bottle out of his insulated cooler bag, he grabbed it and sucked it down. He actually told me what he wanted with words. Unbelievable! The kid can't crawl, but he can ask for his dinner by name. :)

Speaking of dinner, today dinner was Tofu Enchiladas con Mole'. I LOVE a good mole'. The best homemade mole' I've ever made is Rick Bayless' recipe. It is so labor intensive, I call it Two Day Mole'. Anyways, I didn't make my own mole' for this, I bought it in a jar. For jarred mole', Trader Joe's is the bomb-diggity. I actually think on the jar they call it Trader Jose. :)

1 jar red mole'
1 pkg soft tofu
8 tortillas
16 oz shredded cheese

Boil the block of tofu for 5 minutes to push the water out of it, then lift it out of the boiling water with a slotted spoon. Set it on a stack of towels and push down slightly on the top to drain. Crumble the block in a medium mixing bowl. Add 1/2 the jar of mole' and then 1/2 the package of shredded cheese. Blend thoroughly. Spoon a row of filling in the center of a tortilla, roll up and then place in a baking pan. Continue with remaining tortillas until all filling is used. Pour remainder of jar of mole' on top of enchiladas and then sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Cover pan with foil, then bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Serve with a side of beans and rice for a protein-packed meal. I like to top my enchiladas with either plain yogurt or sour cream to cut the heat from the chilies in the mole'.

This meal is more "assembling" than cooking. You can put it together in advance and then bake it just before serving, too. You can serve a family of 4 adults for about $8, all inclusive and it tastes AMAZING. I use whole wheat flour tortillas for the fiber. YUM! This is also a great way to introduce tofu to your finicky husband, they would never guess that's what it is.

3 Responses:

mindful mama said...

Yay, for Trader Joes! My hubby works there part time and I've been obsessed with TJs for years! And now we get a nice lil' employee discount. :)

Hubby hates tofu. He has to have REAL meat. Typical African man. But the recipe does sound yummy otherwise!

The Mama said...

Yipee for Jackson talking....it makes things so much easier when they can tell you what they want!

Unknown said...

Love the first sentence.

Now,as to your recipe. I made it tonight, it is okay, but remember I am not a vegetarian. Scott knew immediately that it was tofu and let's just say he wasn't pleased with me, so I don't think I will be trying to pass tofu off on him again. :0) love ya.