Sunday, January 21, 2007

The Couple Date

I thought when I got married, I would be done with dating woes. I'd be done with dating pressure and stress. But enter...The Couple Date and now it starts all over again!

We had a Couple Date with another couple and their son from our Attached Parenting group tonight. We were hoping we'd all get along so we could try trading babysitting favors for each other every once in a while, so we can enjoy date nights with our spouses.

The Other Couple chose P.F. Chang's as the location for our Couple Date. Sweet, I can throw down some lettuce wraps any day! But as I showered to ready myself for our Couple Date, I started to worry...

What will I wear? (Answer: sweater, jeans, and my sparkly Sketchers. Those who know me know I love Sparkly Things.)

Should I order wine? What if they're not drinkers? (Answer: I had iced tea, would have preferred a glass of Pinot Grigio, though.)

What should Jack wear? (Answer: He wore his Ralph Lauren Polo outfit that Auntie Tracy gave him.)

Should I wear makeup? Full makeup or just barely there makeup? (Answer: Duh. Remember whose blog you're reading? Of course I wore makeup. And when I put on my face, it's like If You Give A Mouse A Cookie. If You Give Felicia Foundation, then she will ask for concealer. If you give her concealer, then she will ask for blush. If you give her blush, then she will ask for eyeshadow. If you give her eyeshadow, then she will ask for liner. You see where this is going. Full face it was.)

Should I dress up? (Answer: I opted to look put together without looking overly duded up.)

What if there's soup and Tim scoops it wrong? (Answer: We went for dumplings and lettuce wraps - potential soup crisis averted!)

WHAT IF HE SLURPS? (Answer: See above.)

Oh Lord. My mind is racing with a million worries. What if they judge me? What if we're not AP enough for them? What if they don't have a personality? What if what if what if...

And as I carefully shaved my legs (it was a date, after all) then moisturized, applied makeup and perfume I panicked. This is worse than dating when you're single!

In the end, our first ever Couple Date went really well. Dinner was awesome, and the Other Couple is really cool. And the fortune cookie I received at the end of dinner stated, "It's a good time to make new friends" so I think the fates are on my side.

The great thing about the Couple Date? You don't have any pressure to kiss anyone or put out after. It's just good food, good company, good conversation, then home. Momma like!

0 Responses: