Tuesday, January 16, 2007

I have reached a pinnacle. Either of Brilliance or Laziness, perhaps both.

Jackson's gut is healed and now...wonder of wonders, he can digest the powdered version of his formula. I thought I had some Cadillac Baby with Champagne tastes, but no! His digestive issues were due to his malrotation. (Although, if it were Cadillac Baby Syndrome, I would not have been surprised because I will readily admit...I am somewhat of a Princess. It could have been genetic.)

So now we have switched him from Good Start Ready To Feed (the only thing he used to be able to digest) to Good Start powder. This is very exciting, because it saves us about $100 a month. That's enough to support Mommy's lipgloss habit. Huzzah!

I used to prepare a day's worth of bottles for him, then store them in the fridge and warm them in the bottle warmer as needed. And for a while, with the powdered stuff I was still doing this. And then it struck me. He will take a room-temperature bottle. So all I have to do is add the powder to the water at the time of feeding, shake, then feed.

And then all at once, a new world of nighttime feeding options was opened to me.

Now at bedtime, I have a Tupperware container that fits a few bottles pre-filled with water, a formula powder dispenser thingy and a shaker cap (stupid Dr. Brown's bottles with your complicated seven piece assembly system that you can't shake with the vent in or it will clog....grrrrr!). I set The Baba Center, as I call it, on my nightstand and we go to sleep.

When Jackson wakes in the middle of the night to eat, I shake up a bottle, he gobbles it up in bed, then we all drift back off to sleep. This is far better than my previous method of running to the kitchen as soon as Jackson first stirs, warming a bottle, running back to get the baby before he screams, cuddling him in the kitchen with a binky while we wait for the bottle to warm, then feeding him in the living room and trying to get him back to sleep before heading back to bed. I would estimate I'm getting maybe 2 hours more sleep a night by using The Baba Center. And I never have to leave my bed! Oh yes, this rules.

0 Responses: