Monday, January 29, 2007

To solid, or not to solid. That is the question.

No solids before six months is the new recommendation by the American Academy of Pediatrics. And I'm not a doctor (I don't even play one on TV) but I question them.

We've been through Jack's little growth spurts where he will have a day where he takes a bottle every 2 hours instead of every 3 to 4. But the past 24 hours...he's been insatiable! He SCREAMS in HUNGER every hour to hour and a half. This is quite inconvenient in the middle of the night, by the way. He GOBBLES up his baba like he's been starved to death in Chinese prison for the past year. This was all night Saturday night,
all day yesterday, and continues on this morning.

I have Jackson's 4 month well baby check up (I only go to chart his growth and ask questions) this afternoon. I'm going to ask about maybe starting some easy to digest solids. Maybe a smidge of avocado will help him feel fuller longer. This every hour or so nonsense is for the birds! In the event that our family doc okays this, I have some organic avocados waiting in the wings. If doc says no, I will be bringing guacamole to the Super Bowl party we're going to on Sunday. Either way, I win!

1 Responses (Leave a Comment):

Brandi said...

I started Adri on solids at 4 1/2 months for the same reason. Our doc just said to start her out on rice cereal for a couple of weeks--really soft--almost runny. That's what kids are usually least allergic to. Then you can work your way up to other grains and some squash and stuff. Adri LOVED pureed zucchini, but it makes for some runny diapers. Just remember that whatever you guys decide, YOU are the ones who live with your baby--not your pediatrician. They give great advice and lots of things we can't do legally, but they aren't your baby's mommy & daddy.