Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent at this juncture.

Tim and I attended Dr. Mayer Eisenstein's "Don't Vaccinate Before You Educate" seminar last night. We've been hemming and hawing over whether or not to give Jackson vaccinations. This is something we've been researching and pondering since I was pregnant. We've read books, researched articles, watched videos, gone to seminars, discussed it with our parent friends, talked about it with our doctors, thought about it some more, prayed about it, researched the CDC statistics...when we found this seminar, we decided that after this one last tidbit of education we would force ourselves to come to a conclusion. It's been an ongoing research project for about a year now! On one hand, there's the disease protection. And on the other hand there's...a slew of really good reasons to avoid the vaccines altogether.

Some of the reasons are just gross. Like the fact that some of the vaccines were sourced from aborted fetal tissue. Ew ew. Some of the reasons are chemical. Like the vaccines contain some chemicals that I'd rather not inject into my son. Mercury and preservatives, oh my! Some of the reasons are logical. Like, more people die from adverse reactions to the vaccinations than actually die from contracting the illness the vaccine is meant to prevent. It's a lot to consider!

There is nothing, not one single thing, that I do with respect to my son's health that I take lightly. When he was born, we researched birthing methods (decided natural was best, but we were unable to avoid a c-section), circumcision choices (we decided: his foreskin, his choice. Far be it from me to decide how he wants his body to look. We left him intact). There's really a lot to decide.

Last night in the seminar, there was a mother present who had partially vaccinated her oldest son. He is now autistic and she fully blames the vaccinations for this. I guess statistically, autism shows up in 1 in 166 children. However, in an unvaccinated population, that number is greatly reduced. Of the over 20,000 unvaccinated children in the Homefirst practice, only 3 are autistic. While this "evidence" is greatly anecdotal, it was enough to sway me. It was the one final little opinion-making push that we needed. Imagine being that mother with a high-needs child who will be impaired for the rest of his life. And now imagine thinking, believing with your whole heart that his problems are a direct result of a choice you made. I couldn't live with myself. It would hurt my heart every day to think that I did that to my baby.

We've determined that we're going to claim the Religious Exemption as allowed by the State of Illinois (a Religious Exemption is available in every state, some states also provide for a philosophical exemption). We believe that babies are created in the image of God, that we are fearfully and wonderfully made and that God's creation must not be tampered with.

So, let's review: I cloth diaper, co-sleep, baby wear, would have breastfed for an extended period if a milk supply ever came in, practice attached parenting, don't circumcise, and don't vaccinate. We buy and eat organic, compost and recycle everything we can. Even our pets eat organic pet food. Who ever would have thought that I'd end up being such a tree-hugging hippie?

Pardon me, I need to go apply some Patchouli.

Hey man, is that Freedom Rock? WELL TURN IT UP! ;)

2 Responses:

The Mama said...

Oh man, I would have loved to attend that seminar with you!!!

I have heard about the Homefirst practice and their practically non-existant rate of autism because they do not vaccinate in their practice. That and the fact that the Amish also do not vaccinate and do not have autism was definiately a huge reason we have also choosen to not vaccinate our kids. There are so many things on the autistic spectrum now, they are even trying to put ADD and ADHD on it. It's scary stuff in my opinion. I figure it's something you can always do later, should it become necessary for some crazy reason. But the 30 something vaccinations they push on babies from birth are just insane. We assualt the systems they were designed with from the very second they exit the womb. It doesn't make any sense at all. I don't see how vaccinations have improved public health at all. People say that we have "done away with" all these diseases, but in truth they all still exist and most of them are illnesses that are no worse than a cold. And additionally we now have an "epidemic" of these autism spectrum disorders. The powers that be basically just took one problem, use psuedo-science to "prove" it works, and in the course of events created an even bigger public health crisis, an epidemic of people who do not have normal mental capacity and will require care and medication for their entire lives.

It seems so obvious to me. But it's one of those areas I have researched to death. I think we as a nation have been so programed by the government (which is OWNED by the pharmacutical companies) and by the medical community at large that it is very difficult to see the forest through the trees. I hope one day more people will realize and take advantage of their liberties and freedoms in this country and stand up for their selves and their health.

Gosh, I've become such a crazy hippy too, as well as a Democratic leaning Libertarian. Who would have ever thought?

(Sorry, didn't mean to write a post in your comments!)

Brandi said...

Wanna borrow my Birkenstocks?? That's about as tree-hugging as I can get right now. Yeah...I wish we had researched the whole vaccination thing before Adri was born. I am SO paranoid about autism!!! I will definitely be doing more research on it, though, before the next one (whenever that might be...)