Saturday, September 09, 2006

Being Rich: It Has Nothing To Do With Your Checking Account Balance

What an awesome day today was. My wonderful cousins threw us our baby shower. While watching the date approaching on the calendar, my stress level had been growing and growing day by day. Would my friends blow me off? Will it suck? Will they have good cake? Will Tim feel like a lame girly man? Will I still fit in at least one semi nice outfit by then?

My friend Alice from high school who now lives in Colorado (and whom I haven't seen in several years...since before she was married, before she had her two kids, before I even knew my husband Tim existed...we're talking many, many moons here) had mentioned that she was going to be in town visiting her Chicago area family this week. I was altogether way too excited to be able to have my baby shower while she was here, so she could join us.

I'm a pretty low-key, intimate affair type of person. I didn't want a big crazy bang up shindig with a million family members that I only see at weddings or funerals. What I really wanted was just a small, unobtrusive, fun afternoon with my close family and a few dear friends. And that's just the afternoon that I had.

My cousins Sue and Tracy who threw the shower just really went nuts with cute balloons, festive plates and napkins and tons of yummy treats. Everyone also seemed to have a good time shopping off our registries for some much-needed baby gear (Finally! Stuff we picked out! Hoorah!).

Besides feeling overwhelmed at everyone being so generous with gifts, I was just so happy and thankful that this room full of people were all here because they love us so much. The girlfriends that came have known me for over half my life. My cousins that came are like sisters to me. My aunt that came is just the sweetest lady alive. As I looked around the room, I said "I'm just the luckiest girl EVER".

Because I am. My life is so rich and full of good things right now. My belly is full of this incredible package that holds a lifetime of my hopes and dreams in the palm of his tiny baby hand. By my side is my wonderful, devoted husband. I am surrounded by supportive, loving family and friends. When it comes to the things that truly matter in life, I am so fortunate to be so incredibly rich. I'm rich in the things you can never put a price tag on...and that makes my heart smile.

1 Responses (Leave a Comment):

Unknown said...

I am so glad you had a wonderful baby shower. How exciting that Alice was able to go and spend time with you. I would have to say that youare very lucky to have that many people care about you. You are truly rich.