Wednesday, September 27, 2006

The plan is...there is no plan!

As of Monday, the "plan" was for me to have an amniocentesis this morning to determine lung maturity and if that came out good, which it should, then we'd come back to the hospital tonight and start a dose of cervadil to ripen my cervix to give birth and start on some pitocin tomorrow morning to induce labor.

Well, this morning Dr. Y took a look inside with an ultrasound to find that I didn't have enough amniotic fluid to do an amniocentesis and my placenta is beginning to go kaput. This all surprised the heck out of me...Dr. Y, not so much. So I did not get to pass go, I did not collect $200, I went directly to...labor & delivery.

Oy. I was all about The Plan. I was ready for The Plan. I had my bags packed at home for The Plan. And now...new plan! The new plan involves me in a L&D room, on an IV of fluids, antibiotics (I have Group B Strep in my dirty whore's vagina, apparently), and pitocin. I have a blood pressure cuff on my left arm that monitors me every few minutes. Contractions feel like the worst menstrual cramps I've ever had. OW!

I'm focusing on letting go of The Plan...or any plan for that matter. I have to wrap my head around this possibly not working out for the unmedicated vaginal birth that I had my heart set on. If my blood pressure doesn't hold out, or if Jackson starts showing signs of distress, I might need to be gutted like a fish. Since I know that being disappointed in your birth experience ups the risk for PPD (and we all know I'm already petrified of the big, bad PPD), I am working hard to mentally get myself to a place where I'm okay with a birth, any birth, as long as the results are a healthy baby.

The fun good news portion of this all is that one of the girls I went to high school with is one of my night nurses in labor & delivery. I haven't seen her since our 10 year reunion. But it's still awfully comforting to have a familiar face I can immediately trust with my life as part of my medical team. Once again, I have to chalk it up to "God knew what I'd need". He knew this would be a difficult turn of events for me to accept, and He knew I'd need a friendly, familiar face to get me through. So he put Sarah here.

4 Responses:

Unknown said...

Hey, Sarah was there when Chris had Andrew. Small world. Sorry you have a new plan, but thank God you have a great doctor and some wonderful friends to support you. Plus you have a terrific husband who was brought into your life for a reason. Good Luck and know you are in our prayers. I can't wait to see the pictures of little Jackson and his new family.

The Mama said...

Ok, you are so cool to be blogging during labor!

That pitocin stuff is pretty bad honey, no one will fault you for getting an epidural. And a c-section can be good. You can still hold him right away, you can nurse in recovery (you might need help, but you can do it, I did!) and you can still have him room in.

Man, this is so exciting. I'm gonna have to come back and check in the middle of the night when I am up for one of Ian's many nursing sessions (man I hate teething!).

Take care, and good luck!

Coupon Chris said...

How funny about Sarah, as the last time I saw her, she came in to check my vitals when I was in the hospital having Andrew.

Think of this a practice for motherhood. You just have to roll with it. Just concentrate on a healthy baby and know that you have done everything you could to have a drug free vaginal birth, but you can't control everything.

One of the plus sides of the C-section is your baby comes out all pink and cute. No smushed purple face.

Doesn't that blood pressure cuff bite! Hang in there honey. It will all be okay.

Brandi said...

EEEEE!!!! Though I'm sure you won't see this post until days from now, Ben and I are praying! And everyone is right--all that matters is a healthy baby boy in your arms!! We can't wait to see pictures!!!