Friday, December 29, 2006

Changing my "slave name"

So the thought has occurred to me recently that perhaps I would like to legally change my first name.

I've officially rid myself of my maiden name, which was an OK name except that I share it with the man who sexually abused me as a child, since he was a trusted relative. So when I got married, I had no problems changing my name. (Maybe that's why I like getting married so much? Nah. It's the CAKE.)

But my first name, and all its dichotomy remains. My name means "happiness", which is so incongruous with my past and everything I've survived it's just silly.

Then I thought...wait a tic...I can pick any name I want for myself. I'm not locked into the name chosen for me by the woman who beat the living crap out of me, and the man who let her do it. Hmm.

This just might be my final step in emotionally emancipating myself from a lifetime of bad memories.

3 Responses:

Brandi said...

That's not such a bad idea!!!!

Ooh! Mabe you should take votes on your blog... ;-)

Coupon Chris said...

Toby is a nice name. ;)

It might be odd at first to call you by a different name, but if it would help provide closure, it's worth considering.

As for your name meaning "happiness", it might fit seeing as you fought to attain it and now are happy. So maybe happiness mean more when you realize how amazing it is that you have found it. Plus, you do bring joy into other people's lives.

Whatever you decide, your friends will support you Princess Consuela Bananahammock.

The Mama said...

Um... yeah to what Brandi said. You need to take public opinion into account if you are going to change your name. I can totally see your point in doing it.

And just so you know, if you decide to go with Princess Consuela Bananahammock I am gonna call you Banana for short. I don't have any friends named Banana.