Thursday, December 28, 2006

I'm not going to be friends with Alice anymore, her injuryproneness is catchy.

All I wanted to do was take the dogs to the dog park.

It was a nice day out, about 50 degrees and sunny. I waited until Jackson woke from his nap, fed and changed him, then the four of us (Me, baby, Bella & Katie) all headed out to the dog park.

Halfway there the grating in the back of the Jeep (that separates the dogs from the backseat) fell down. Katie was under it, Bella was over it. Katie was being crushed and Bella was freaking out. I think she knew she was hurting her sister, but she didn't know what to do to stop it.

So I pulled over, gently eased Bella off of the grating and Katie then lifted it off of Kate. Now it's getting dark really fast and I have two dogs who want to play in the street. Great.

I load everyone back into the car, set the grating in the back seat to be reassembled later, and decide that it's too dark out now for me to take my baby to the park even if I do have 2 big dogs, it's just not safe. So I turn around, with 2 antsy dogs and a screamy baby in tow.

I remembered the mailman said we had a package at the front office, so I stopped there to pick it up. I grabbed the baby, in his car seat and headed in. While I was in the office and all the office girls were oohing and ahhing over Jackson, the dogs were having a rockin' good time jumping all over the interior of the Jeep.

Turns out, we had 2 packages at the office, so I headed out carrying more than I should have tried to bear.

While trying to put Jack's car seat back in the base, I noticed that Bella was the front seat. I was startled and lost my balance just so...and down I went. Somehow, Jackson's car seat magically levitated between the car door and the backseat. It got wedged in there just right so he didn't come crashing down with me.

And there I am, baby half in the car and half out, dogs all over the place, while I'm sprawled on the ground (which the landscapers have cleverly decorated with cut pine branches, so I have balsam fir jammed into my butt). All of a sudden I'm Mrs. Fletcher and I need Lifecall, because "I've fallen, and I can't get up!"

Instead I whip out my cell phone (and it is only by the grace of God that I had the forethought to stick it in my coat pocket, as it is usually in my Durse [diaper bag/purse, feel free to start using my new word at will] which I had left in the front passenger seat) and call Tim for help. I ask him to please wind sprint from our house 1/2 a mile over to the leasing office so he can help me off the ground (and I can get the balsam fir out of my rear end) and get us all home.

I reached up to where Jack was precariously perched on...really nothing. I still don't know how he stayed up there. I got him down, he was crying so I gave him his binky then the two of us sat and waited, while Katie and Bella yukked it up in the car.

Tim came to rescue me, and we all headed home.

We never got to the dog park, and now my ankle is just about as swollen as it was when I was pregnant! I'm seriously considering seeking medical attention for it since putting any weight on it is very painful. Even if it's just a sprain and all they give me is an Ace Bandage and some Darvocet, hey...it's Darvocet. Right?

Here's the kicker: (get it, ankle/kicker? ha ha ha!)
One of the packages contained Tim's Christmas gift...a pair of Heelys. So I broke my ankle, while retrieving a package with which I am certain he will break his.

3 Responses:

Coupon Chris said...

Oh no! It seems to be spreading. (As I back out of the room making the cross sign with my fingers to ward of the bad juju) That totally sucks.

You might want to get it looked at. The last time I sprained my ankle, I ended up getting an air cast. Just a hard shell with velcro after the swelling went down and I could walk on it. It really helped.

Let me know if you need anything. Hopefully you will bounce back quickly. I'm glad Jack is okay.

The Mama said...

Ahhhhhhhhhh, I'm so sorry!!! This is seriously starting to freak me out, I know way too many people that are having bad things happen....what is going on??

Go get it looked at and tell them you want an aircast so you can walk around without problems.

Unknown said...

I am so sorry to hear about your ankle. I hope it heals quickly. How did Tim react to the Heelys?