Thursday, August 10, 2006

*Donald Trump hand-cobra* Dr. Boob Check, you're fired!

Last time I was in to see my OB, I blogged about it here, and unfortunately, the situation has NOT improved. I was hopeful. I really feel like I gave them the benefit of the doubt and gave them adequate time to listen to my problems and offer a reasonable resolution.

Today when I voiced my concerns regarding Dr. Boob Check's lack of professionalism and borderline sexual harassment (completely uncalled for and just WRONG when you're approaching someone in an undressed/vulnerable position) I was told that was "just his personality and he isn't going to change that just for" me. Oh, and "some patients like that". And "he's the head of the practice so we can't tell him how to behave". Well count me among the fuddy duddies that don't want a doctor nicknaming my breasts when he comes in to manhandle them. Just...NO. I'm here for medical care, not for fun laughy joke time. I take my health seriously, Dr. Boob Check. And SO SHOULD YOU.

Which lead me to my next big beef, which is everyone at the damn practice "forgetting" I have diabetes when it's all over my chart and I have an INSULIN PUMP STICKING OUT OF MY BELLY. How do you f*ck that up? I mean, really.

I asked nicely if there were anyway I could be guaranteed that Dr. Boob Check wouldn't be my attending at my delivery and was told basically no, there was no way. Only if I made a special deal with the 1 doctor I did like and he agreed to come running whenever I went into labor, but he doesn't do that. Whoever is on call is who will deliver me. It was then that I had to bid them Good Day like Fez from That 70's Show and get out of there. I don't care that I am 30 weeks along out of 38 to 40. I don't care that I have, like, 2 hours to find a new doctor that will take me. I don't care that Dr. Boob Check is the head of the practice and God forbid someone spoke up against his demeaning and crass bedside manner. I don't care. The bottom line is, I hire these doctors to work for ME. I am a consumer here, and if my doctor isn't working for me I reserve the right to move on. I owe it to myself and to my unborn son to get the best care I can find. Dr. Boob Check, I am convinced that you're not the best care I can find. So let's sit down in the boardroom so I can tell you face to face...."You're Fired!"

Funny thing is, after I had the discussion with the OB's office about why I wasn't going to stay with the practice, I hopped in my car and went to my endocrinologist appointment. On my way, I discussed what was going on with hubby, and he echoed my concerns and feelings about why I needed to find a new OB. It felt good to take control of the situation and stop being a victim of bad medicine. On my way out of my endocrinologist's appointment, Dr. L mentioned that I "looked better" than I had before and I seemed to be "more confident" with my diabetes and my pregnancy. To which I simply replied "Thank you, I do feel more confident. I feel like I'm more in control of what is happening to me now." And he was pleased.

As am I.

3 Responses:

The Mama said...

Oh my, you have a lot going on. So, here's my take on things.

Firing the doctor- GOOD FOR YOU!! You do me proud girl! I wish you the best in finding another practicioner. I switched at 28 weeks and I was much much happier. Have you considered a CNM? They have doctors overlooking them but are usually a lot more personal. I know with diabetes you need someone that has good back-up, but I bet you can find it. They also tend to be women which I think is a major plus since they know where you are and most of them have given birth themselves. That perspective makes a big difference!

The doula- Hard to say with that one. We hired a doula for Ian's birth, and she wigged out on us at the last possible minute because our birth was going to take place somewhere around Christmas and she wanted to host a family dinner, and.....well, let's just say I don't have nice words about her. We had signed a contract and paid half the fee, then she went and did that and we totally lost trust in her, so we fired her, lost the deposit, and didn't have a doula. I ended up with another c-section. I will always wonder if I would not have if the lady had just done her job. We have had very very bad luck in the birth attendant department, our homebirth midwives wigged out on us for Gracie's birth. Not cool! Anyway, just make sure you really really trust her and I can't say this loud enough, CHECK REFERRENCES!! Call her past clients and ask them what they really thought, what they really felt, and if they really thought it was worth it. Also call people that gave birth awhile ago. New moms always have a warped perception of how things went (because they are in new baby heaven and generally can't stop thinking positive things), and once they have the ability to analyze things better they usually have a different opinion. (I know because this happened to me).

OK, this is way too long a comment!! Good luck! I know you are going to find exactly what you want and need. And you are gonna be such a good mom!!

felicia said...

:) Thanks for the vote of confidence. YES, my head spinneth.

I found a DO who has 10+ years of experience with high risk/diabetic pregnancies. SHE is out of Alexian Brothers, so still really close by for us. I have an appointment with her on Saturday.

I just got off the phone with Dr. Boob Check's office manager, because they wanted to charge me in excess of $50 to copy my records so I could transfer doctors. I told her that wasn't quite fair, I wouldn't have to change doctors if I felt I was getting adequate, professional medical care from their office and proceeded to detail my problems. She was shocked & appalled (or so she said) and was very apologetic and finally volunteered to waive the fees.

As far as the doula...I have received some great references on Deb the Bradley Method Teacher from moms of non-newborns so that's good. I might just skip it though...with Dr. Boob Check I felt like I HAD TO have a medical assistant in the room whose only focus would be on me & my care since I didn't trust Dr. Boob Check as far as I could throw him. But now that Dr. Boob Check is guaranteed to not be there...as long as I feel good with this new doc, I might not feel I *need* a doula. And then Tim can have his warm, fuzzy, personal, intimate family experience. While I have a screaming, crying, grunting, sweating and possibly swearing birth, LOL!

Unknown said...

Good for you. I know you are relieved at losing the "loser" doctor.

I think you should definitely check into the doula. I would have given anything to have someone with me when I had Bobby who knew something about childbirth. But we couldn't afford anyone and I hadn't taken any classes, so I went in completely unprepared. I was with a friend when she was delivering and she had a doula and it just made a world of difference as she had someone catering only to her needs/wants/desires.

You and your baby deserve the best and I know that everything will work out.

Good Luck