Sunday, August 27, 2006

Sneak Previews

Last night we attended the wedding and reception of my step cousin (does such a thing exist, or did I just make that title up?). I'll explain the relation. My beloved Godfather, my Uncle Felix, passed away when I was about 8 years old. He left behind my wonderful Godmother, my Auntie Lee, and his three daughters, my cousins Kim, Tracy and Michele (whom I adore and are like sisters to me). Aunt Lee got remarried several years later to Kevin, a very nice man who was divorced with a daughter from his first marriage, Carrie. Last night was Carrie's wedding.

It was a lovely wedding, simple and elegant in a gorgeous church. The reception was at a country club about 45 minutes away from our house. Carrie looked absolutely radiant, as is pretty much anticipated of any young bride and her groom Ryan looked completely comfortable and confident the entire day. Not at all jittery or nervous. They're really a great couple.

At the reception, they had all the traditional acoutrements. They cut the cake together (with Def Lepard's "Pour Some Sugar On Me" playing in the background, which was kind of fun and different), they had their traditional first dance. The bride danced with her dad, which is always a sweet and touching moment. And then the groom danced with his mom. Ryan actually isn't a bad dancer. And he was so tender and sweet with his mom, being the perfect gentleman dancer and leading her step by step. You could tell by the looks on their faces that they were really having fun and enjoying their special moment together. I thought to myself, gosh if that were me I'd be a bawling mess right now. It was one of those scenes that just get you *right here*, tugs at your heartstrings and brings a tear to your eye.

And then it hit me like a ton of bricks: someday, 20 to 30 or so years from now that IS going to be me. And the way Jackson moves now, at least I know he will be a great dancer. :)

I'll be the mother of the groom in the beige dress, dancing with my son during our special song on his wedding day. Holy carp! I'm sure I will cry like a blubbering idiot to say 'goodbye' to my son that way. I should find a good waterproof mascara sometime between now and then.

That Mother/Son dance would be the perfect send-off for us though. As many times as we've danced together already...him still on the inside, me on the outside, as we both enjoy some of the same songs -- one last dance together as he leaves his parents to forge a new family with his new bride would be just *perfect*.

In between now and then - all I want to do is to raise a man who will be a faithful, loving husband and involved, wonderful father.

Dear Daughter In Law of The Future: that's my wedding gift to you. Well, that and I promise to not do all the annoying MIL things that mine has done to me that make me insane. I promise. I swear. Just...be good to my son. I love him more than anything.

1 Responses (Leave a Comment):

The Mama said...

Oh, I know that feeling. The blow to the stomach as you realize that your baby won't always be a baby and will someday venture out into the big wide world without you. It's horrible. It makes your heart hurt and it makes you cry.

So treasure every single moment, and pretend the future won't ever come. That's how I cope. Denial can be a powerful tool.