Monday, October 16, 2006

If I sleep while the baby is sleeping, when am I supposed to shower?

Seriously, this is my question.

There are plenty of things that I would like to do while my arms aren't occupied by Jackson. One of them is blog...see? I'm doing this now.

But I also enjoy a hot shower, eating meals, painting my nails, going to the bathroom, doing laundry, washing dishes, cleaning house...I could go on for days.

When the kid only naps for an hour and a half at a time if I'm lucky...how am I supposed to do all these tasks? I'm supposed to be sleeping while the baby is sleeping! But if I sleep while the baby is sleeping, then I can't, say, EAT while the baby is sleeping. Or PEE while the baby is sleeping. Because have you ever tried to go to the bathroom while holding a wiggly infant? It ain't easy, my friend.

But then if I do eat or pee or clean or whatever while the baby is sleeping...I never get to sleep. It's a vicious cycle.

To remedy this, I have determined that the perfect solution would be that at the time of birth, the hormonal shift caused by the removal of the placenta should also trigger an Appendage Growth Hormonal Spurt, which causes mothers to sprout an extra two to four arms. While this would make clothes shopping a little bit more of a challenge, I'd put up with it in order to be able to consume a meal while it is hot again. Wouldn't you?

3 Responses:

The Mama said...

Sleep woman!! Sleep when the baby sleeps!! Pee as soon as you lie him down, then go to bed. I command it!! The solutions for everything else are as follows:

Stop cooking and order out. You and Tim will perfect the art of shift eating, ie., one eats while the other holds the baby. If Tim isn't available eat while standing at the counter with the baby in the sling. This will only work until he starts grabbing at things, then you will need another plan.

Stop cleaning the house, a lack of dirt and things in order are seriously overrated, and besides, once Jackson is moving he's gonna make messes and destroy any semblence of organization anyway.

Forget showers for awhile, and, instead take baths with the baby. Forget that little baby tub, just plop yourself in and take him with you. Alternately, take a bath while Tim takes the baby for a walk to get the mail.

Painting nails, again a sling may come in handy although those fumes could be a little much for a baby. I haven't painted my nails in about..... since Gracie was born!

Make Tim do the laundry.

Make Tim do the dishes, or just buy disposable everything for awhile.

Take it easy girl, you know him sleeping for an hour and a half at a time is pretty lucky too!! Just wait til he's teething and needs your arms. All. Day. Long.

You have to admit you can't do it all. And to be perfectly honest, you don't need to. It's a season of life baby. Embrace it!

Unknown said...

I highly recommend sleeping. It is something that you will appreciate later on. Definitely figure out the shift eating, it is wonderful and you both get hot meals. Scott, when home, would take Bobby for me when I had dinner ready and let me eat while he just enjoyed their time together, it's something I will never forget. The cleaning and painting your nails can be done, but do it while Tim is spending quality time with the Jackson. As far as peeing goes, the sling can be used for that purpose as well. I can't say enough for having Tim do alot more stuff. Ordering out, is something you can do more often since having an infant around is not something that lasts forever.

Brandi said...

Yup--they're all right! We were also blessed with people from our house church and from NavPress where I worked bringing us meals and groceries. The other thing I found handy was that I would put a pillow in a laundry basket, swaddle Adriana up, lay her in the basket and take it into the bathroom with me. She didn't like to be away from me, and she wasn't exactly ready to take a shower with me either. It might not work if Jack likes silence, but Adri loved it! If she was crying uncontrolably, all I had to do was turn on the vacuum, and she would instantly stop! Turn it off, and she would start up again just as quickly. Testing it was rather amusing after 26 hours with little or no sleep.