Thursday, February 15, 2007

Boldly going where no man in this house has gone before...

We're venturing into ovo-lacto-pescatarianism. This basically means that we're no longer eating beef, pork, turkey or chicken. Beef and pork is no big deal, and I'm allergic to chicken. I can't remember the last time I made a turkey.

Organic tofu and legumes have been purchased. A pasta dish, using seasoned & marinated extra firm tofu as a meat replacement is scheduled for tomorrow evening's
supper.

I don't have anything against meat, in fact I think it's delicious. However, I came across a disturbing tidbit of information about a month ago, and I haven't been able to get it out of my head. When you eat meat, you are eating for 17 people because of the grains fed to the beef that could have gone towards feeding others. When I learned that, it certainly gave me pause. We've been slowly going as organic as possible, so eliminating meat is a logical next step. I've been hesitant to research more into how dastardly meat consumption is, because I don't want to puke. I know that the animals are treated inhumanely and that slaughterhouses are disgustingly dirty. I like to not think about it. I have frequently said that if meat weren't conveniently available to me
on a foam tray, wrapped in cling wrap at my local market, that I wouldn't go out to hunt & kill my own. I would just go meatless.

So meatless it is. Except for our cage free, organically fed eggs, organic dairy, and the occasional fish or seafood treat.

I will miss BACON. But have you seen piggies? They're adorable, and said to be as smart as a domesticated dog. I shouldn't be eating that, no matter how delicious it is. Look how adorable! (The pig, not Dakota Fanning). I cannot chaw him.

1 Responses (Leave a Comment):

The Mama said...

If only we had an efficent way to get that grain to those people, eh?

But then what would the cows eat? We would have to have "Save the Cows" campagins on TV with Sally Struthers interviewing sad little cow mama's and their starving calf children..... Because as we learned here in Colorado, when left to their own devices to forage for food (like so many cows were with the snow storms) they will starve to death because they are too stupid to dig under the snow for grass!

Poor big stupid cows.