Monday, February 26, 2007

We don't even miss meat!

Dinner tonight was a creation of my own invention. I will take suggestions as to what to name it! :)

I prepared a batch of quinoa while chopping and tossing together 6 organic roma tomatoes (on sale at Whole Foods for $1.99/lb. this week - SCORE!), 2 c organic baby spinach, 1/4 lb. of organic feta, and 1/4 lb. of kalamata olives. I made a quick little Greek vinaigrette from olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, chopped fresh organic garlic, dried oregano, a dash of salt and a pinch of freshly ground black pepper. I tossed the chopped veggie/olive/cheese blend with some of the dressing and then laid 1/4 c of the prepared quinoa on a Rudi's Organic Bakery Whole Spelt Tortilla then added about 3/4 c of the veggie blend, rolled it up and served it as a wrap. I garnished each plate with a fanned fresh strawberry. Hey, it's all about the presentation.


It was freaking AWESOME. Seriously, my best meatless effort yet. I'd have seconds, but quinoa is really filling with the fiber and protein content. I thought I was doing good after dinner last night, which was a tofu stirfry with a ginger-lemon sauce served over brown rice. I'm having a friend over for dinner tomorrow, so I'll have to come up with some new smack. :)

1 Responses (Leave a Comment):

Brandi said...

Wow!! That sounds SO yummy! I discovered quinoa when I was pregnant and was a protein consuming machine trying to hold back my PIH.

I miss having my own kitchen. My repertoire right now consists of variations on rice, noodles, beef and sometimes pork if the parents are feeling adventurous. I made a simple dish of risotto with chicken and asparagus with asiago cheese, and Ben and I are the only ones who would touch it. IT'S RICE FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!! My parents are rednecks....