Tuesday, February 13, 2007

I wish the baby swing spun a better selection of tunes

We have this swing. It does the job, and has a capacity of up to 30 lbs., which rocks compared to most other swings. But here's the deal. It plays 5 songs and 5 sounds of nature. That's it. Sounds like a lot, until you have the baby in it for more than 5 minutes, and you've already heard the loop of 5 songs a few times over. It makes you crazy. Sometimes, when the swing is off and all is still and quiet in the house at night, I hear the damn electronic synthesized "music" in my head.

I wish the swing had an input like our Pack & Play. That thing rocks my socks all the way to the hamper. You can plug any mp3 player into it and crank out your baby's favorite playlist through the attached entertainment unit.

Speaking of baby's playlists, my dear friend H, who is expecting her first child, sent me a mix CD she burned for her baby boy who will soon make his earthly debut. We gave it a listen today, and I fell in love with a song I hadn't heard before:

Childhood Dreams - Nelly Furtado

I can't believe you need me
I never thought I would be needed for anything
I can't believe my shoulder would carry such important
weight
As your head and your tears
I can't believe you chose me, in all my fragility, me
It hurts so much when I love you, it makes me cry
Every time

You, you are, oh you are
The little boy made for me in the stars
In the stars, that's why I can't let you go
The little boy made for me in the stars
That's why I love you more the further I go
And before this existence you were always there
Waiting for me
You are, you are the realest thing I know
Hands down
The realest thing I know

It reminded me of when I got Jackson's ultrasound
done that revealed his gender. I was so convinced
that he was a she, the news really rocked my
foundation. We both had our hearts set on a
daughter, so getting used to the idea of preparing
for a son was an emotional hurdle. But now he's here,
and how wrong and stupid I was! I cannot imagine
him being anybody else. He's the little man who
was handcrafted for me by God Himself, the boy
He planned for me to have and to love
and to raise.

And along those lines, I decided today that if
God doesn't give me any more children, I will
be okay with that. Jackson is wonderful and
amazing and fulfilling and just everything
that I love in life. I would love to be a
mother to more babies, but if that doesn't
happen it's okay. I have already been blessed
richly, beyond anything I could have dreamed
of or asked for.

Now watch, I'm going to end up getting knocked up.
It wasn't until I had decided that I would be
satisfied just being single that I met my
wonderful husband, who is so much more
and better and fantastic than I would have dared
ask for. Back in the day, I said to myself
"I can handle being single forever, who
needs men?" And then I met Tim, and before
I knew it, I was on the phone with my friend
telling her I was going to get
married again...

Stay tuned. :)

0 Responses: