Thursday, July 26, 2007

Feed My Sheep

We took the Moose out to his first volunteer activity tonight. When we were dating and newlyweds, we did a lot of volunteer stuff to help the homeless, the hungry, the huddled masses yearning to be free and whatnot. One of our early dates was cooking Thanksgiving dinner at a homeless shelter. Romantic, let me tell you. :) (Actually, that night was awesome, it was the first time hubby said the "L" word to me. The nice "L" word. Not the Showtime "L" word. Not that lesbians aren't nice, I'm sure they're...um...charming. Argh! HE SAID HE LOVED ME AND IT WAS AWESOME! Sheesh.)

*gracefully extricates self out of self-dug hole*

But since the baby came, volunteerism had somewhat fallen by the wayside, while still holding a strong place in our hearts.

Tonight there was a group meal packing activity at our church for Feed My Starving Children, a charity based out of Minneapolis. We, along with a lot of other volunteers, packed 27,000 meals in 2 hours! I wore Jackson on my back in the Ergo and he got his own hairnet. :) We would have taken photos, but we were kind of busy packing meals for starving children in Haiti.

We were the only fools who brought a baby to pack meals for the starving children of the world. Our idea was that we wanted Jackson to just be so used to giving to help the less fortunate that it's just part of life and not a special occasion. So we started him young, and we'll continue to bring him along so that giving back becomes just as normal and necessary to him as taking a bath or brushing his teeth.

The statistics on how many empoverished children die of starvation are absolutely staggering. Babies, just like yours and mine die every day because there is no food. It's heartbreaking. The work we did tonight will feed 74 kids for a year, they say. 74 Mooses. All I could do was hold my little boy and weep, while crying out prayers of thanks for everything we have.

Thank you, Father. Don't ever let me forget to thank You.

2 Responses:

Coupon Chris said...

Let me know the next time your church does this, I would love to help.

That reminds me that I need to get a donation box off to the local shelter.

mindful mama said...

Ok, that makes me cry as well. The statistics about "starving children in Africa" or wherever in the world it is take on a whole new meaning when we look into the eyes of our own children and think what life could have been like for them if they were born into poverty or in third world countries where child starvation runs rampant. Heck, my husband IS from one of those countries. Even more sobering.

Glad to hear you're involving Moose in volunteering and other such activities. And the Ergo of course makes it that much easier to do, doesn't it? ;) This is why my kids go everywhere with me. One is in the Mei Tai on front or back, and the other holds my hand or rides in the stroller.

Yay for babywearing and helping hungry children!