Friday, July 06, 2007

Livestrong

My husband has become single minded in his quest for a bicycle. He is seriously driving me crazy with his constant Googling of product reviews and scouring catalogs and hunting down bike shops. He is a man possessed by one desire: his desire for a bicycle.

I say "bicycle" because I accidentally referred to it simply as a "bike" earlier today when I was talking to my baby bro. He was all confused.

Me: "Tim is so crazy, he wants this big, fancy bike. He's obsessed with it."
Bro: "Oh yeah?"
Me: "So I have been telling him that we need to save up for it and wait. But I ordered the one he wants with all the options he wants behind his back, and I just picked it up. It's in the back of the Jeep, and I'm going to pick him up at the train station so I can surprise him with it."
Bro: "What kind of car do you have?"
Me: "Jeep Grand Cherokee."
Bro: "How did you fit a bike in the back of your car?"
Me: "I turned down the split back seat and then lifted up the bike and rolled it in. A guy at the store helped me."
Bro: "How are you going to get it out?"
Me: "Tim and I will get it out together."
Bro: "Isn't it kind of heavy for your car?"
Me: "Nah, it's OK."
Bro: "What does he want to do, take it on road trips?"
Me: "No, he wants to go riding trails by our house. He wants to get one of those trailer things for the baby and pull the baby in the trailer behind his bike."
Bro: "You're going to let him do that? Is that safe?"
Me:
"Yeah, I read up on it and it seems pretty safe."
Bro: "You're going to let him pull the baby in a trailer behind a bike on trails?"
Me:
"Well, yeah. The baby wears a helmet and the trailer has rollbars."
Bro: "Aren't you worried about the baby getting burned? From the heat? That doesn't sound very safe."
Me: "There's a sunshade and we can always use sunscreen."
Bro: "No, from the heat and the EXHAUST."

And this is when I realized that the bike I was talking about was not the same bike my brother was talking about. :)

I pulled up to the train station and waited. The bicycle waited in the back, hidden under a blanket so he couldn't see the outline of the bike through the windows. As Tim approached the Jeep, I got out and walked towards the back of the car. I opened the hatch and said, "There's no room for you to sit in the Jeep."

I pulled the blanket off the bike and said, "But you can ride home" revealing his new bike, a helmet, a kevlar lock, and a wireless bicycle computer.

My husband looked like he had won the lottery. He said, "No. Way."

I said, "Way!"

He gave me a big hug and we drove off into the sunset.

If anybody has a spare Lance Armstrong bracelet, it would make a great gag gift. :)


0 Responses: