Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Jam on it!

Sorry I've been a bad blogger lately. After berry picking at Plow Creek Farm near Tiskilwa, IL (about a 2 hours drive from our new house) we came home overloaded with blueberries and strawberries. U-Pick blueberries were $2 a pound and strawberries were $2 a quart. We picked all we could and schlepped home tons of berries.

This explains the multiple berry-faced photos of Jackson having blueberry pancakes. He REALLY loves blueberry pancakes!


We're pancaked out though (at least I am, of making them!) so it's time to do something different with our berries. So I've been making jam.

Plow Creek is an organic farm that has applied for certification but is in the 3 year USDA waiting period for certification. So, for all intents and purposes they're organic. So I've been making vats of sugar free (sweetened with Stevia) organic homemade jam, and can I just tell you that Smucker's ain't got nothin' on me? Not to sound overly conceited, but my jam is seriously awesome.

I'm hosting my cousin Sue overnight tomorrow night, so I'll be picking up some good bagels to serve her for breakfast along with some fresh jam. Yum!

3 Responses:

Robyn A. said...

You know, I'm not sure if you've seen on the news that there is a jam, um, shortage here in California, and we, ummmm, can't really buy it. So like, all of our toast is, um, dry. Don't even give me started on the sad state of of PB&J.

Just saying.

felicia said...

I find this surprising since y'all have Knotts Berry Farm and all.

I assume the lack of jam is because the cicadas ate all your berries or somesuch. What a crying shame. How will the children produce jam hands without jam?

ThisChickEats.com said...

I love that photo of Jackson with the blueberries smeared all over his face. Adorable. Good times. :)