Monday, April 02, 2007

Moose Stats

Oh, I forgot to post last week in all the hullaballoo of packing...

Mister Moose, 6 months:
22 lbs.
28 inches
17.5 inch gourd
95th percentile overall

He's trading in some milk for solids, and LOVES eating so far. He's had:

rice cereal
bananas
avocado
apples
pears
carrots
sweet potatoes
homemade whole milk yogurt

I made pears and papaya for him over the weekend and I have 2 acorn squash to bake, puree and freeze. I make the majority of his food at home from fresh, organic produce and grains. I still buy some jarred food for on the road, it's just easier to grab and go. I am finding it's really fulfilling to see him enjoy food I made for him. Cooking for a baby is rather easy, you just bake or steam everything and then puree it in a blender. I freeze the pureed food into ice cube trays then once frozen I pop them out into freezer bags or containers for storage. This is probably nutritionally superior to jarred foods, and even if it isn't it's still fresher. Food that expires in 2 years isn't quite the kind of fresh I want to give my kid. If you're interested in reading more about this, I recommend Ruth Yaron's book, Super Baby Food.

I killed my old blender last week making some baby food. I went out and bought a new one, which quickly overheated and died too! I was very pouty and sad, and hubby held me close and said, "It's okay Honey. We'll get you the professional one." To which I said, "It's $800." And he said "OK".

LOVE him.

1 Responses (Leave a Comment):

Unknown said...

Holy Crap, $800???? That's a mortgage payment for us. LOL That must be some blender. I want to see pics. I used to love to make baby food for Bobby, have fun because pretty soon he will be eating more and more stuff that isn't pureed.