Friday, July 07, 2006

Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape

I like some order to my day. My daily plan when I awoke this morning consisted of the following:


6:45 am: Take DH to Metra station
9:30 am: La Leche League Meeting
12:00 pm: Find lunch, or a reasonable facsimile
1:00 pm: Book hubby's hotel & rental car for his upcoming business trip
3:00 pm: Appointment with Doctor Asshole for insulin pump follow up
4:00 pm: Pack up internet shopping returns
5:00 pm: Drop off internet shopping returns at Post Office & hubby's POS broken Pocket PC at Fed Ex
5:30 pm: Pick up Girls from doggie daycare
6:00 pm: Pick up DH from Metra station
6:30 pm: Serve dinner (teriyaki chicken and brown rice with salad)
7:00 pm: Lollygag


What actually happened:

7:00 am: Take DH to Metra station, in huge mad rush because he overslept. Sucked down delish pina colada smoothies I made in 3 minutes before heading out the door. Yummy but rushy start to the day.
9:30 am: La Leche League Meeting that I skipped because I feel stupid going to one. I have no baby and I have no breastmilk YET. I will probably hit the August and September meetings so I have a breastfeeding support system in place just in case I have troubles and need help or advice.
12:00 pm: Throw together grilled cheese & tomato soup, snarf whilst being a mouse potato
1:00 pm: Book excellent rate at high end hotel for hubby and not so great rate on intermediate size rental car. Rental cars used to be $23/day. The best I could find was $65/day. Poop. Good thing the company pays us back.
3:00 pm: Appointment with Doctor Asshole for insulin pump follow up, he was actually nice this time and the visit was productive. Must consider new nickname for Doctor Asshole. Doctor Diabetes? Hmm.
3:30 pm: Find/capture/rescue stray cat that has been wandering neighborhood for months
3:45 pm: Take stray cat to shelter, learn he has a microchip and is a neutered male. Hope that shelter can find his People through the microchip.
4:00 pm: Learn stray cat's microchip is registered to an animal shelter in Wisconsin. Learn animal shelter in Wisconsin's phone number has been disconnected - a dead end.
4:30 pm: Leave animal hospital/doggie daycare/animal shelter with The Girls, leaving Stray Cat behind to be impounded. Heart broken. I wanted Stray Cat to be able to go home tonight to his People. I was so hopeful and happy when Chip scanned the stray cat & found a microchip. God bless Chip. He's grown up to be such a handsome man (who knew the boy I rode Big Wheels with would grow up to be a hottie?) and he does such great things for the animals of our community. (Chip runs the kennel/doggie daycare at the animal hospital - which is also the local intake hospital/kennel for the area's no-kill shelters). He was so gentle and sweet with the Stray Cat, and offered him a dish of wet food (which Stray Cat declined). It was sad to leave Stray Cat behind, but I know he's in capable hands with loving people who will give him his booster shots and feed him and groom him and trim his nails. And then they will find him a foster home in the shelter system and eventually he will be adopted and will have new People who will love him forever.
5:00 pm: Hubby is running late, so he won't be on the 6:00 train, he'll be on the 6:30 train. He doesn't know it yet, but he's taking me out to dinner! :)

The downside: I didn't get all of what I wanted to get done today accomplished.
The upside: I saved somebody's life and got the ball rolling so he could have a family & a home.

All of a sudden, I don't feel so bad about not accomplishing so much today. I think Mr. Stray Cat is somewhat thankful that I didn't too.

0 Responses: