Monday, July 24, 2006

There is a God, and He has heard my prayers and supplication

I LOVE ICE CREAM. Just so we're all clear on that, and there's no confusion about my statement, let me reiterate: I LOVE ME SOME ICE CREAM. I especially love ice cream on a hot summer day. I love ice cream in all flavors and varieties, but one flavor in particular is my absolute favorite. I love the Peppermint ice cream. But I have never understood why Peppermint is considered a "seasonal" flavor, and why that season is always during the winter.

Because really, when is it that you crave cold, creamy, minty refreshment? Is it in December when it's 10 degrees out with -15 degrees windchill? NO. It's now...in July, when it's 95 degrees out with heat index of 105. That's when I want me a cone piled high with cold, creamy, minty goodness. But my beloved Peppermint is "Limited Edition" and "Seasonal", which means it can only be found until mid-January most years...clearly not into the "Minty Ice Cream Is Needed" months.

Until now.

The good people at Oberweis Dairy understand about needing mint in the summertime. (http://www.oberweisdairy.com/web/default.asp). They have made Peppermint a year-round regular flavor of ice cream in their shops, it is no longer seasonal! Imagine my shock when I saw it up on the flavor list. I asked "You guys still have some Peppermint left over?" assuming it was from December (I didn't care, I wanted it!). And the nice pimply faced clerk says "It's no longer a Seasonal Flavor, it's a year-round regular flavor." To which I replied what any girl would say when told that her most favorite treat on the planet was now available year-round, "I LOVE YOU!" I nearly jumped across the counter to hug the guy. I couldn't believe that someone finally "got" my Peppermint Ice Cream Theory. Peppermint Ice Cream in the winter...it's nice, I have it, but I always wish I could get some in July. Or April or September...and NOW I CAN.

I am filled with glee.

1 Responses (Leave a Comment):

Anonymous said...

I love the Peppermint as well. When I have an upset stomach, peppermint ice cream cures it. I get my "non-seasonal" fix with Peppermint Klondikes. They are nice in that they have that lovely chocolate coating as well.