Monday, July 31, 2006

I am The Luckiest.

I love music. I love the way an instrumental piece can soothe away your stress, or get your heart revved for the next action sequence in a movie. I've always been a huge audiophile, a fact that many times over got me in trouble as a young girl since rock music is the Devil according to the Baptist ministers my mother listened to.

Anyhow, now that I am The Decider when it comes to what is and is not acceptable for my ears to listen to, I have been venturing out and sucking in all I can from all types of tunes. I'm not the type of person to just listen to the beat of a song and decide if I like it from that (although I do like some songs just for the beat, and the message could use some improvements - Sean Paul's "We Be Burning" comes to mind in that category). I usually listen to the lyrics and every now and again, I hear something that comes along and bitchslaps my heart. Like this little song by Ben Folds with a simple piano background paired with gorgeous, lush strings. I heard it and the lyrics resonated with my heart so strongly. When it comes to my marriage, my husband, and the family we have created together...I truly am The Luckiest.

I don't get many things right the first time
In fact, I am told that a lot
Now I know all the wrong turns, the stumbles and falls
Brought me here

And where was I before the day
That I first saw your lovely face?
Now I see it everyday
And I know

That I am
I am
I am
The luckiest

What if I'd been born fifty years before you
In a house on a street where you lived?
Maybe I'd be outside as you passed on your bike
Would I know?

And in a white sea of eyes
I see one pair that I recognize
And I know

That I am
I am
I am
The luckiest

I love you more than I have ever found a way to say to you

Next door there's an old man who lived to his nineties
And one day passed away in his sleep
And his wife; she stayed for a couple of days
And passed away

I'm sorry, I know that's a strange way to tell you that I know we belong
That I know

That I am
I am
I am
The luckiest

0 Responses: