Sunday, May 20, 2007

Buffalofu Sandwiches

I love the versatility of tofu. You can make it taste like almost anything. As I pondered this fact, I thought about how much we missed buffalo wings. And then I thought - chicken tastes like nothing. Tofu tastes like nothing. I'll bet I can make tofu taste like buffalo chicken. I made buffalo tofu sandwiches for dinner tonight.

The key to making tofu marinate well is boiling it first. Cut it how you want to serve it, in small cubes, big cubes or like I did tonight, slices. Boil a pot of water and add your cut tofu and boil it for 5 minutes. Take the tofu out of the water with a slotted spoon and place it on a stack of paper towels on top of a plate (or if you're in my house, a stack of clean cotton wash cloths) then stack more towels on top and weigh down the top with a few more plates. This pushes all the water out of the tofu and gets it ready to soak in whatever marinade you put it in next.

You may think this process sounds cumbersome, but I guarantee it's far less gory than defrosting a piece of cow, then trimming the fat off, then marinating it.

Anyways, so I boiled and squeezed out the water from the tofu then marinated it in wing sauce. After about an hour of marinating, I heated a skillet then added a swish of butter (benefit of being ovo-lacto-pescatarian: you can still have butter) and placed 2 of the marinated slices in the skillet to brown.

Meanwhile, I added some blue cheese crumbles to some light blue cheese dressing. Because there is no such thing as too much stinky cheese.

After browning both sides, I put a slice of buffalofu on a whole grain bun, adding a fwap of enhanced blue cheese dressing and a few baby spinach leaves (to serve as "lettuce").

Hubby says it was so good he would even REQUEST it again! We give Buffalofu Sandwiches two thumbs up. :)

2 Responses:

samantha said...

You are the gourmet chef of the year!! Hey, I tagged you on my blog--check it out!

Brandi said...

Oh Man!!!! That sounds yummy!!! Adn if I happen to get the same craving for buffalo wings with this pregnancy as I did with Adri, I'll make these!!!!!