Wednesday, May 23, 2007

How big is your God?

My HS posse and I are all busy planning our 15 year class reunion. It's some very exciting stuff. It also requires seeking out each classmate (thank goodness it was a very small private school) to invite them, which has been a challenge because some of them kind of dropped off the face of the earth.

Anyways, in our searching I ended up getting lost in the internets after a click lead to a click lead to another click and then before I knew it, I had found a classmate's brother. He graduated before us, but I went to the same college as he and his wife. I was happy to have found them, because they were supercool people. Very grounded and genuine. So it came as no surprise to me to find his blog entitled "Tangible Theology". Rob's theology is tangible, it always has been. It's part of why I've always had such great respect for him. I'm not saying he's perfect - nobody is! But he accepted his imperfectness and ran with it instead of wallowing in it.

His idea of a faith that is real, livable, and every day resonated with me. Where does your God live? (A hint: it's not in the building that you may or may not go to on Sunday mornings). Since having the idea of a tangible faith at the forefront of my mind, I've been blessed to see God's hand in my days.

On Saturday, I helped with a friend's baby shower. There was a guest who was delayed because she had to turn around and go home to fetch something for her husband. When she then turned back around to return to her route to the party, her path was blocked by a huge accident. The lifeflight helicopter landed on the expressway yards away from her car. She missed being in that accident by minutes. See His hand?

My son has come down today with his first ever baby cold. The child is going to be eight months old next week, and for all his health challenges earlier in life he has never gotten a cold yet. If he had gotten sick last week, it would have been disaster for me - and the shower. If he had gotten sick just a month ago, I probably would have lost it. Moving with a teething baby was a nightmare enough. A teething sick baby would have been unbearable. See His hand?

Try something with me today. Just for today, ditch "religion" and get faith. Real faith. Living faith. Faith you can feel like sand between your toes on the beach. See all the ways God is amazing in your life.

I am so guilty of making my God small. I do it all the time without even thinking about it! I put him in a little box and place it on a shelf marked "faith" and leave Him there. I pull him out before heading to church and then return home to put Him away again. This week, I'm taking God out of the box.

My God is too big for this box.

3 Responses:

mindful mama said...

Awesome. What a wonderful post. Well said! Also, is that guy's blog on blogspot?

felicia said...

Yes, Rob's blog is at http://tangibletheology.blogspot.com

Brandi said...

Wow...yeah, I always like that about Rob. He was always different from the other "sanhedrin". I'll have to check out his blog. Isn't it wonderful not to be bound by anything other than the Bible?? :-)