Thursday, May 03, 2007

Happy Love Thursday!

Today I am loving my alternative cleaning products. I love that you can DRINK the stuff I clean with and not die. You'd probably get an upset stomach, but you wouldn't die! And it works just as effectively if not better than the toxic crap I used to buy. Today I whipped up several bottles of all-purpose cleaning spray (for counter tops, bathrooms, you name it.) Want to try?

You'll need:
16 to 24 oz trigger spray bottle (Wal-Mart, .98)
Borax (slightly toxic, but you barely use any)
White distilled vinegar
Dr. Bronner's Liquid Soap
Hot water
*Optional: essential oils to scent (your choice, I used lavender and peppermint. You could use a splash of vanilla if you don't have any essential oils).

Put 1 T Borax and 2 T vinegar in bottle. Add hot water to neck of bottle. (Leave head room for soap and for the offset liquid when you put the sprayer back in). Swish to fully dissolve Borax. Scent with desired oils, add 1/4 c Dr. Bronner's (you may sub 1/8 c liquid dish soap). Put sprayer on, swirl bottle around to blend ingredients. Grab a cleaning rag & away you go!!!! (I prefer a microfiber cleaning cloth, but any old rag will do).

My bathrooms are clean & smell purdy. Plus, this recipe is phosphate-free, so you're not polluting our rivers, lakes and streams when you rinse it down the sink. And here's the part that everyone (especially Coupon Chris) will love: the first bottle will cost you about the same as a bottle of 409 or Fantastik when you add in the cost of all your supplies and the empty bottle. After that, it's about $0.40 to refill it each time. Momma liiiiiiiike. ;)

I am also loving that I have just used up my very last ever paper towel. Gone are the days where I bought them because that's what everyone does and I thought you needed them to get by. Paper towels, I bid you and your wastefulness at $3 a roll, you and your stupid spindle that takes up a 6" x 6" footprint of my counter space, you and your tree killing shenanigans f*cking adieu.

My Farewell to paper towels Haiku:

Angry. Paper. Waste.
Now I use cotton wash rags
And I am happy!

1 Responses (Leave a Comment):

Coupon Chris said...

I can vouch for your cleaning products. The soft scrub stuff you gave me works great. I even used it to scrub out my toilet and it worked great. I have a ginormous bottle of Simple Green that I use for a lot of stuff and the steam cleaner which works with just water.

I think I have some vinegar coupons somewhere. I will have to check. Might as well get it down as cheap as possible. Although, I don't think I have ever paid $3 for a roll of paper towels. It ususally takes us a long time to go through paper towels. I have been working through my current 8 roll pack for the last 6 months and I still have 3 rolls left. I use old T-shirts and towels for cleaning. Once they are old and holey, they get cut up for rags.

I love your haiku.