Saturday, May 12, 2007

I can't believe I just burnt freaking butter.

This probably wouldn't be a big deal to any mere mortal. But I am a Cooking Goddess! I BURNT BUTTER! The outrage! Oh, the humanity! (OK it's actually "oh the bovinity" but humanity sounds much more serious and dreadful).

I went to college for this crap, and I just burnt butter. (I was a Secondary Education, Home Economics Major. YES, Home Ec is a major!)

My cooking ego is deflated.

My husband just laughed at me, recounting the very first time I ever burnt anything two years ago. He says "Remember that one time you burned toast and you cried?" Oh, yeah. I remember that, Pal. Thank you for reminding me though. Why don't you just give me a bunch of paper cuts and pour lemon juice and salt on them? (For the record, it was French Toast and I was upset because I had gone out of my way to get fabulous bread for it. I was just learning our old electric stove and without a visual of how high the flame was I cranked it up too high.)

Thankfully, Hubby also fondly remembers my MacGyver-like dinner concoction back in the day when we first started dating. He had worked late and we were hungry, but neither one of us was in any mood to go get food. We were at his place which = he had no groceries. I poked around the fridge and pantry and found sufficient ingredients to make a pasta with veggies and cheese sauce. (Dry vermicelli, frozen California blend veggies, a dab of cream cheese, a splash of milk, some grated parmesan, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.) The dinner ranks as one of my Greatest Hits because his fridge shelves housed only: a leftover smattering of cream cheese in a tub, one last swig of milk and some wine. I walked into an "empty" kitchen and walked out with two plates piled high, and it wasn't at all horrible. I think it was then that he recognized my phat mad kitchen skillz.

Yet, for all my skillz I still burnt butter this morning. Apparently, I had let my skillet heat a little too high for a little too long. Lesson learned.

I think this will help get me off kitchen duty for tomorrow though, as I bask in the warmth of my very first Mothers Day. :)

3 Responses:

Brandi said...

Happy Mother's Day as an "official" Mommy!!!!!! And don't fret too much about the butter. Need I remind you of my little mishap with the chip clip and flaming bag o' Ruffles????

The Mama said...

Now how didn't I realize that you went to school as a home ec major?? That's the degree I have, minus the education part. A BS in Home Economics. (Although the paper hanging in my room says it's a BA. Which it is not. And I asked them for a new one that said it right, but I never got it and figured it probably didn't matter!) If I ever make it back to that campus though I may ask for a new one!

Coupon Chris said...

Now there is a degree I could deal with, although I will probably just look for an accounting program.

Can I get a degree in Coupon Science?